Sunday, September 14, 2008

The soup that kept on giving


I want to share this story with you - because I was reminded of it this weekend. It was used in a Stake Relief Society Women's Conference - about how small acts of kindness can make a huge difference. I was asked to submit an article -so I did. It brought back a lot of memories.

At any rate - I felt it worth sharing. I hope you like it!


When Morgan was about twelve - and he and I lived in Bountiful Utah - I made a huge pot of homemade chicken noodle soup. I had so much it was running out of my ears. I was really close to our Ward Mission Leader (a sister) -and her husband that was in our Bishopric. So I called her and said - "Hey - I have all this soup - do you want some?"

She said yes - and came to get some. When she saw how much I had - she instantly said... "Dana - how about we take a bunch of containers and feed as many people we can tonight?" So Morgan, Marilyn and I went through my cupboards and filled up any container we could. She also got some from her home. Her husband dutifully drove us around the ward, taking soup to the Bishop's family whose wife just had surgery, to members I didn't even know were in our ward, (not active) and people who were old and sick. I think we delivered about 12 containers of soup that evening. It was a great experience for Morgan and myself.
Now - this "Small Act" made a HUGE difference in our lives. Why? Well, when we got back to our small apartment that we lived in, our pot of soup was still full to the brim - and looked as if it had never been touched!! Marilyn and I were so startled!! Morgan ran ahead, yelling, "Look, look, look at the soup!" From a small act - we gave the soup that kept on giving. We were able to go out and give more and more and more - and feed many more families that night. What a HUGE difference that made in my life and in a 12 year old boy's life and in a Ward Mission Leader's life - to see how Heavenly Father can and WILL provide for the people who need and are in need - even if it is just soup.

1 comment:

Herry and Jayley said...

That soup looks quite tasty-could I get the recipe?

Powered By Blogger